I went to church tonight for the "Christmas Eve" service. (Yes, they started having Christmas Eve services tonight..the night before the night before the night before Christmas ). Anyway... during the service I realized how self-focused I have been this Christmas season. I have been looking at Christmas as if this holiday is about me and what it's going to take for me to enjoy these days and be happy over the next week. I've been looking at it more like "my Christmas."


During the service the red-head, awesome-voiced woman on the worship team, Michelle, sang a song that totally just ... well, it put me in my place. I've been on google trying to find the song lyrics because I want to get it just right. You'll just have to wait until I find it to read them. The words of that song was just what I needed tonight - the night that really for me is the eve of all the Christmas gatherings.


I've been somewhat irritated with "Christmas" songs this season. Why are all the songs about "snow" and "sleigh bells" or even "going home?" Not that those are bad things, but I'm just not getting where they've come from. Why do we sing songs about giving people partridges in pear trees and other gifts that are just as ridiculous? Now, I'm not boo-hooing on Christmas-ey music. I do enjoy it! But, I think I'm just needing to try harder this year to re-focus on the TRUE meaning of Christmas... and not all the songs really help to do that.


During the church service we also sang "Wonderful King." Now, this is a CHRISTMAS song. There is something about singing the words to this song that always just lures me to Him. AND what perfect lyrics describing our Emmanuel!


BEAUTIFUL SAVIOR. WONDERFUL KING. 
OH, BEAUTIFUL SOUND THE JOY OF HEAVEN HERE.


Oh, I remember now. One thing that I think God wants me to learn is GRATITUDE. I've been reading much and hearing much from all different sources about being thankful and having a grateful heart. So...I told myself yesterday after I did my very first post that I'd try to post every so often, things for which I am thankful.


1. Joanna picking me up way early in the morning so I could get my car taken care of today. AND for getting me hash browns at the BK.


2. Ruth being super VP and taking HP and I out to lunch. YUMMY Buca!


3. Surprisingly productive day today!! I think I got more done today than I have all week long - oh yeah... I was out sick two days this week! HA!


4. Being able to praise the Lord - even when my heart, mind and body is weary.


5. A NEW BOOK TO READ! and the thoughtful, generous, kind gift it was to me!


6. That I'm not sick and that I get to see my brother and his family tomorrow.


7. That I can call and talk to my parents and sister pretty much anytime I want to.


8. The sun being out today - it was such a pretty day out today!!!


9. Watermark - "The Purest Place" - tracks 3, 4, 12 make me feel happy, worshipful and a deep, deep longing (in that order).


10. my Christmas tree - even with its metal pole down the center and plugs that you can see so plainly between the "layers" of "branches" it makes me happy as I sit here.

0 comments