Explore Wycliffe

9/16/2008 04:54:00 AM | | 1 comments »

This upcoming Saturday I have the opportunity to join colleagues of mine from Wycliffe at an Explore Wycliffe event taking place in Philadelphia.

This one-day event gives participants the opportunity to learn about Wycliffe, Bible translation and explore ways they can get involved.

I'm looking forward to meeting fellow Wycliffe folks AND especially excited to meet the people who are choosing to spend a Saturday to "Explore Wycliffe." I think that's so cool!

When I really think about it... while I was casually exposed to Wycliffe at a music festival in PA and through the Web, my first real in-depth introduction to Wycliffe was when I went to Orlando, Florida to interview for a job at Wycliffe USA's headquarters. It was only after meeting real live Wycliffe workers, heard their stories, learned about what they did and why, that I actually "got it."

I remember sitting in the rental car at the end of a very long interview day thinking that I had no clue whether I would get the job or not. But, this I did know... I needed to make a change in direction in my life AND... whether or not I got the job, I would have to get involved in the work of Wycliffe somehow.

I remember having that "unbelieveable" feeling. Unbelieveable that so many didn't have the Bible in their own language. Unbelieveable that I never knew until then.

Because of my own experience I'm usually not at all surprised when people tell me that they've not heard about Wycliffe or about Bible translation before.

BUT, because of my own experience as I've gotten involved in this work... it's something I want to change.

I want to be surprised when people get that puzzled look on their face. I want to be shocked when people ask why the Bible is still being translated. I want to be startled when someone says, "Wycliffe, what's that?" These reactions don't surprise or shock me now. It's what i've come to expect. But, I want things to change.

I want for Bible translation to be as understood and known a need among churches as other areas of mission work. I want for Bible translation to be received as key and foundational to missionary work of the Church. I want for people to be as familiar and invested in Wycliffe as they are with other organizations that meet the deepest needs of people around the world. I want for kids and young people to be so exposed and involved in various aspects of Bible translation as they grow up that they just continue to seek God for their next next step of involvement.

In April 2002 I moved down to Orlando, Florida and began working with Wycliffe USA's Communications Department. The years that followed became my in-depth exploration of Wycliffe and the world of Bible translation. It's a learning experience that never ends.

I'm thankful for opportunities like "Explore Wycliffe," "Check IT Out," and other events that people can participate in to learn about this organization, Bible translation and ways to get personally involved.


Pray for the events taking place this week around the U.S., people who are sharing about Bible translation, and those who are participants in these opportunities.

1 comments

  1. Heather // September 22, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

    How'd the event go?