Through the years

9/18/2008 04:52:00 AM | , | 0 comments »

I was reading through some of my old journals and saw that this week in September has had some significant happenings through the years.

Taking a look back and remembering God's faithfulness ... awed by His goodness.

One year ago...September 16-21, 2007
Learning that Lasts Training - Dallas, Texas

After about a month of training in North Carolina, I travelled to Dallas, Texas. I began my two months in Dallas with one week of "Learning that Lasts" training (Training for Trainers). The course has changed the way that I approach developing training sessions and how I hope to develop myself when I am in a "trainer" role. My entire time in Dallas was a huge blessing. I got to spend really good quality time with my cousin and her husband as I stayed with them during my time there. And, I got to spend special times with other family members in the area as well.

Two years ago...September 17, 2006
Wycliffe USA Training Camp - Orlando, Florida

Along with 32 other new Wycliffe workers, I began two weeks of training and orientation. By the time I attended Training Camp it had been over four months since I had received the phone call letting me know that I had been accepted to serve with Wycliffe.

Training Camp was a great time for me to step away from my regular daily life in Orlando and focus on this HUGE thing that was happening in my life. It was a great time for me to be with others who were along a similar journey and to begin taking very concrete steps forward. It was a wonderful time for me to just be renewed and recharged -- re-energized about what was ahead.

It's amazing to think back on that group... some have been overseas in their assignments for almost two years now. Some have recently completed their preparations and are settling in and adjusting to their new homes. Some are still preparing and developing their ministry teams with great hopes and expectations to move into the roles that are waiting for them. And I know that some have gone in new directions outside of the organization.

What a journey. Two years ago I'm sure none of us were sure of where we'd be today, but one thing we focused on during the two weeks we had together was GOD... HIS GLORY... AND WORSHIP OF HIM. Praying right now that each of our hearts continue to be refreshed by knowledge of Him and our hearts and minds turned to Him in worship.

I loved those two weeks and the people that God gathered together for that time. TC 29!!

Fun, random memory: A few of us went to Downtown Disney. While visiting Virgin Megastore we dedicated a song to fellow training camper, Tracy. Here's Tracy in the purple shirt realizing the song was for her. Tracy is now in the Chicago area coordinating one of Wycliffe's programs for youth, Jungle Jump Off.








Three years ago...September 16, 2005
Process began with Wycliffe

It took a looonnnngggg time for me to finally begin the process of applying to serve with Wycliffe. It was something that I began seriously considering in 2003. It seemed that applying to join Wycliffe was something that I was endlessly thinking, journaling, and wondering about. I had lists of questions. I had journals of all my ponderings. I just wasn't making a decision.

Eating lunch with a friend of mine one afternoon she asked the waitress for a piece of her ordering slip. Pulling out a pen my friend wrote out what things I needed to do to finally move ahead. There in the restaurant on a dining order slip was my deadline... by my birthday (August 20th) ... I would decide if I was going to apply.

(This is me and Maralee -- my friend who had lunch with me that day. This was actually taken a couple if years later when she was getting ready to move to D.C.)

Before my birthday even rolled around it was clear. (The photo is of me and my home group celebrating my birthday that year.) Actually, everything had been leading and pointing me in this direction all along... but I was finally ready to put faith and trust into action and say, "Yes." Okay, so maybe I wasn't that BOLD in my decision making. My actual words in my journal were:

"Whoa. This is scary Lord -- and yet at the same time, so peace-giving. I think this is it, Lord. I am yielding to you and trusting you Lord as I take this next step. Father, there hasn't been one question I've asked that you haven't totally answered directing me to make a move....God this is scary because I'm not exactly sure where this step is going to take me. But, I have to remember - I may not know where I am going, but I do know who I am following. And Lord, you are so trustworthy..."

13 years ago...September 18, 1995
"Come to Jesus"

It was my second year at the University of Florida. It was right before my Writing for Mass Communications class. I sat outside on the Reitz Union Colonade with sweet Beth from Alabama. Everything about her oozes Jesus' sweet love. That afternoon she told me about His love in a way I hadn't ever understood it before. We talked for a while and before I knew it I was late to class. So I ran across the lawn and into Weimer Hall late... but filled with joy and a new relationship with God.

December 1995 - Celebrating Christmas with new meaning with Beth and the other precious chickadees of her Bible study.

0 comments