In one year...

10/31/2007 09:25:00 PM | 0 comments »

a lot can change.

A little over a year ago (September 2006) I was in Orlando going through 2 weeks of training and orientation to the organization. Along with about 40 other trainees, I was a part of "Training Camp #29" (TC 29).

This past weekend 7 of us who are in the Dallas area got together for a little TC 29 Reunion.

A lot can happen in a year. Sitting in the room and catching up with these friends reminded me of that. We didn't even get to talk about ALL the things that have gone on in our lives in the past year, but even with just bits and pieces you realize so much can take place in just a year...

  • one woman is now teaching ESL to international students at the local university
  • two guys are preparing to complete schooling to do language work
  • two of the people in our group met (at TC), got engaged, got married and are now settled into a new home and new jobs
  • one couple is expecting the birth of their first child

When I think about going "away" for a year I sometimes find that I do get sad and even jealous.

Things are going to happen in the lives of my friends and family ... and I won't be "here" (wherever "here" is :) ) to experience it like everyone else. In a way it sometimes seems like deep down inside I'm shocked that people's lives would go on without me around to be witness to it! (HAHAHAH!!! -- pathetic, I know.) I'm sad that I won't get be with friends as they move into their new houses, have babies, get married, celebrate birthdays, go through hard times... and all the little day-to-day stuff that happens that brings color into our lives.

BUT... I'm thankful for things like cell phones, web cams, Facebook, Skype, and all the things that help to make the miles seem less far apart.

0 comments