Just days left in Dallas

10/31/2007 10:14:00 AM | 0 comments »

I'm realizing that my time in Dallas is quickly running out. The other night I was having a hard time going to sleep wondering ... "How productive have I been during my time here?"

How do I "measure" my productivity when my basic goals for this time in Dallas included getting more orientation to the world of Bible translation, going through some training, spending time with family and building relationships?

I'm a task-oriented person. I like checking off boxes on my to-do list. I'm going to leave Dallas with a few identifiable "tasks" completed... but, I do know that my time here has been so rich with experiences and I've been incredibly blessed through people.

I guess I'm learning new ways of defining "productivity" or "success" and learning that sometimes the most valuable things really are "immeasurable."

The past couple of days have helped me recognize this.

During my time here I've met with different people who are involved in various aspects in the work of helping others have access to God's Word in their heart language. It's been amazing seeing all the ways that people are involved in this! And, I've been absolutely inspired seeing the passion people have for God, His Word and for the people they've had the opportunity to work alongside.

Yesterday I met with someone and we talked about the ways that STORIES are used in helping people learn the truths of God's Word. Today I met with another colleague and we talked about the ways that language communities are learning how to USE the translated Scriptures in their personal lives, families, churches and communities.

How do I measure the value of time spent with people like this? It has been a great privilege to meet with so many here in Dallas who have had part in work all around the world. It's been great for me to learn from them.

And... I just love hearing the ways God allows us to take part in this work! I love meeting people who are excited about the things they get to do. It energizes me. It reminds me of how grateful I am to participate also.

So... my time in Dallas... immeasurably rich :)

0 comments