When I Grow Up...

8/05/2009 08:32:00 PM | 0 comments »

When I was in 5th grade, Mrs. Vaccaro had us work on a scrapbook project. I think it was one of my favorite school projects because I still have it! We were supposed to put together a book with pages about...

  • "Things I Do to Help Around the House"
  • "My Family"
  • "My Favorite Subjects"
and of course..."What I Want to Be When I Grow Up..."

If I remember right, I had pictures illustrating that I wanted to grow up to become a doctor and a teacher.
Also on that page was a picture from a magazine of... President Corazon Aquino.

I was 10 or 11 years old at the time. I remember watching TV and hearing (probably for the first time in my life) about our "home" on the news. And there in the middle of all of it was this powerful, influential, Filipino, woman. WOW!

I don't remember if I wanted to be "PRESIDENT."
I kind of doubt that.
Maybe what I saw in her, and what I wanted to become was ... a woman of influence.

Today offices were closed. It was declared as a holiday to give people an opportunity to honor her.

As I watched the coverage on TV throughout the day I was struck by all the people who came out -- in the rain -- ALL DAY -- to watch her casket go by, to see her honored during the funeral service and then to say final goodbyes as she was laid to rest.

Yes, maybe even as a young child I recognized that quality about her. She was a woman of influence. And even today, on the day of her funeral, I can see it again.

As I watched the crowds and listened to people's reflections on the news -- I think for so many she was a glimmer of hope.
So, yes, I think as I child that's what I saw I wanted to grow up to be... and still today want to become.
I want to be a hope-bearer to people... to point people to the One, True Hope in life.

0 comments