Don't You Speak Tagalog?

8/06/2009 07:45:00 AM | 0 comments »

Ummm... not yet?

One of the big disappointments of my first six months living here in the Philippines --- lack of improvement in the area of language learning.

When I first got here, it felt like I was gaining enough courage to at least throw a few Tagalog phrases out in conversation here and there. When I would be out in a taxi or in a store I would make my requests in Tagalog. I would respond to their questions in my limited Tagalog. I would try.

Before I moved here I had imagined that after my first few months here I'd pick up a good bit of Tagalog. I imagined myself going back to the States for my sister's graduation -- able to have conversations with my parents in Tagalog. It didn't happen.

As a matter of fact, after coming back from the States it's like I went back a few THOUSAND steps. It seemed like I was having to re-learn how to listen to Tagalog. It felt like I was even MORE intimidated to try my tongue at Tagalog.
I need to be more disciplined and structured with my language learning. I need to put myself in situations where I have to listen to Tagalog more and try to SPEAK IT! I need to get out my Rosetta Stone and my books and start doing some homework.

There have been some fun ways I've discovered that are helpful in my pursuit of learning Tagalog...

  • watching Tagalog movies
  • watching Tagalog shows
  • playing Pinoy Henyo (?)
  • attending a Taglish church service
Hopefully with a little discipline, a lot of fun ... and a greater willingness to throw aside my concern of how I look and sound to others (okay... PRIDE), I will one day be able to say "YES!" when I'm asked if I speak Tagalog.

0 comments