"What did you do today?"

9/19/2009 09:15:00 PM | 0 comments »

Today I woke up early (for a Saturday!!), hopped into a taxi, and arrived at my destination by 9 AM. I then spent pretty much the next 8 hours doing one thing.

Sitting in a room at the offices of TAP (Translators Association of the Philippines), I flipped through all 764 pages of the Kinaray-a New Testament... over and over and over again. :)

Next Saturday in Antique, Philippines there will be a dedication and celebration of the Kinaray-a New Testament being available to the Kinaray-a people for the first time!! Today, I joined a group of people who were checking out the New Testaments before they started their journey to Antique. We went through each copy checking for missing pages, illegible printing, torn pages, and things like that.

8 hours is a long time to do something so repetitive ... and honestly pretty boring. But, every once in a while as I would turn a page, the realization of what I was doing would hit me.
"WOW! Someone is going to get THIS book next week! For the first time ever, they will be holding in their hands a New Testament in THEIR language!"

So, yes... today I spent 8 hours... flipping through pages of a book. And yes... every second was worth it!

It actually was a pretty fun day. I enjoyed the company of the others who were also there. And I was encouraged by the group of youth from a church who came out to help.

0 comments