So, I've never really spent much time gardening. I don't think it's because I don't like it. I think it was just that I never really had a place of my own to do it.


Yesterday I spent a little bit of time out in the front yard weeding. I loved it.

I loved being outside. I haven't spent much time outside since... fall??? I loved the sun, warm on my skin and the breeze that cooled me down. I loved the feel of all the dirt and grass in between my fingers. I loved the quiet, gentle sounds of the outdoors - the occassional bird chirp, the soft whirr of cars driving by, the buzz of the bee that's made it's home in our front yard.

I loved doing something where I could SEE change. I loved that I could see that I had been productive when I said, "I'm done for now." I loved that there was something I wanted to do and I could actually accomplish it and know that I had done it.

I loved exerting physical energy in a productive way. I haven't really been keeping up with exercising -- at all. I need to get back to a regular routine. But, spending time pulling weeds... I loved "working my arms" and "doing squats" ... and actually having some "external" results for the effort!!

Ok, so we'll see if I find myself out in the garden again. Maybe I loved it so much just because it was a good stress reliever. Maybe I loved it so much only because I didn't spend too long doing it. Heheheheh.

We'll see. I have always loooovvveeed being outside and flowers... so who knows, maybe I have discovered a new love.

1 comments

  1. The Walters Crew // May 31, 2008 at 2:45 AM  

    Me too! :) I never did any gardening until we moved to NC, but we've got all kinds of little things now and it is lots of fun. I totally agree about the productivity. I get very visible results after a short period of time. And I'm all about instant gratification :)