Discouragement...

6/05/2008 10:57:00 AM | 0 comments »

I saw this book at Sam's Club. I've seen this book before and had considered reading it at other times. I guess I never really wanted it enough to actually get it though.


Possibly because of where my life is right now, when I saw it on the rack, I immediately grabbed it.

"Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life"

I've been going through it slowly -- when waiting at the doctor's office with my mom, reading a chapter here and there... just nibbling at it really.

Small bites to share with you...

Discouragement can drain us of all hope, of all vision, of all our tomorrows and dreams. It certainly did that for Elijah.

But I love the tender picture of 1 Kings 19:5-7, for it hints at the
tenderness available to us in our own discouragement. Remember what happened? God sent an angel to bring food to his downhearted prophet. "Get up and eat," the angel told Elijah, "for the journey is too much for you." Then the angel stood guard as Elijah fell back asleep.

When we're distracted and discouraged, tired and overwhelmed, there is no better place to go than to our Father. He alone has what we need. Don't stand under a broom tree. Don't hide in a broom closet. Go to the Lord and let him
sweep away your discouragement.

As you do, you'll find healing for your hurting heart.

Even when it can't help but doubt.

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8

I've been gradually facing the reality that my life as I've planned and expected ... isn't. And, I've been gradually realizing that it is at times disappointing and it is at times discouraging.

I want to fight the discouragement. I want to cling to hope. I want to continue to believe and trust in my Father. I want to be aware of the moments of His tenderness.

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8

0 comments