Lessons from the Land

6/03/2008 07:35:00 AM | 1 comments »

So, while I've been out weeding and such there have been moments of "Hmmmm... that's an interesting thought."


I thought I'd share some of those weed-pulling thoughts with you all every once in a while...

1 - Don't be so hasty to pull and toss.

When I see something that doesn't look so pretty my tendency is - GET RID OF IT!

My mom has a whole bunch of daffodils and other bulb-type flowers in the front yard. Well, the flower part of the plants all bloomed in early spring and what's left is a droopy, droopy mess. I wanted to yank them all out or cut them all short. They don't look pretty, so what use are they in the garden? My mom quickly told me to NOT do that. The droopy mess that was left is still feeding nutrients to the bulb in the soil. So, if we want to see the pretty daffodils in bloom next spring, I can't cut them.

I think this tendency is true in my life... the messy, hard circumstances in my life or in the lives of others, I want to quickly yank them out. Get rid of the difficult. Get rid of the messy. Get rid of the things that make life less "pretty" than if could be. But how those things often provide the growth needed in our lives.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4


(For those of you curious to know what I did do... I bundled up all the stems and banded them together. They look like funny little bunches stuck in the ground. But they'll be well nourished bunches! When they dry up I'll cut them down. This was just ONE of the hundreds of bundles in our yard. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating... but just by a little!)

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // June 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

    Great post Aileen. Bill has a tendency to cut things down to the ground. I don't prune at all. But did prune my roses a little, started feeding them, and finally got a routine of watering. I have two huge buds ready to bloom. This is after a year of nothing. I am sure there are spiritual lessons in that too.