GOD is GOOD.

7/15/2008 10:26:00 PM | , , | 1 comments »

I recently read the book "The Shack," by William P. Young. As I read it I appreciated the way that through the story I was being challenged in my understanding of God, my view of my relationship with Him and my perspective of life's situations.


Something that I tend to do is have a desire for everyone I know and care about to be "happy" and for everything that they experience to be "good." It's difficult for me when I look around me right now and find so many people I care about going through terribly hard times.

... a father dealing with brain cancer
...the loss of a close family member and a mother who had a stroke
...dealing with leukemia and the harsh side effects of treatment
...a father courageously living with prostate cancer and sharing hard and precious moments with one another
...a grandfather missed
... and so on and so on and so on.

I look at these things and my initial reaction and the tendency I have to fight within myself is to think... "Why God?? It's not fair. All of this is BAD... so bad."

There was a part in the book where the main character is challenged -- "What is good?" In my mind good may include happy fuzzy feelings, ease in going through a situation, ... you know, good.

But as I allow my understanding of God, His goodness... and as God works His truth into my heart ... I can begin to see these things with new eyes.

Yes, these things are hard. Yes, these things are challenging. Yes, these things bring a great deal of sadness and hurt. But, I find that God's definition and perspective of what is "good" likely has greater depth and purpose than my heart and mind can always fully understand.

God is good. His works are good. God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. When I choose to believe that and remember that truth then my eyes are opened a bit wider and my heart opened a bit deeper to receive God's grace in these situations.

During the past few months I've had to purposefully take some time and ask the question, "God, what are some of the "good" things you can show in me in what's been going on? How are YOU being glorified?"
Goodness has been God's presence in the midst of pain. Goodness has been seeing and experiencing God in ways I've never been able to before. Goodness is God revealing Himself to His children. Goodness is God drawing us into His arms. Goodness has been God being glorified.

God is good.

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 16, 2008 at 1:03 AM  

    I have been wondering about this book. I have heard that it is a bit controversial. I love you post.