Apartment Hunting

2/11/2009 09:02:00 AM | 1 comments »

The hunt for an apartment near my work continues.

The hunt started last Monday when I went to a few buildings nearby to see what they had available. My supervisor, Dawn, kindly accompanied me and we had fun walking all over the area. We looked at several units in apartment buildings and condotels.

The next day, Carolyn (another super-kind officemate), was nice enough to make a connection for me with someone she knew who could show us even more units. We saw probably a dozen or more places.

While there were some really nice ones, there hasn't been anything that has just "clicked." (Mostly, I am still holding out for something a little less expensive.)

Most of the units we have viewed have been fully-furnished or semi-furnished units. Part of the fun (and added dimension of difficulty) of apartment hunting is seeing the different styles and tastes people have in decor. Sometimes I walk in and think "COOL... I like this stuff." Other times I walk in and think "Hmmm... not exactly my taste, but I can work with it." And other times I walk in and think "Hmmm... Hmmm... Hmmm... "

Today, Erlene went with me to check out a place. On the way home we decided to stop by a couple of buildings just to see what they might have.

The last unit we saw today by FAR had the most "stuff," it was the most "done up" and... I'm not exactly sure which category it falls into. Parts of it I thought were cool and other parts... wellllll...

This is the main living area of the 1-bedroom unit. This room is the living room/dining room/kitchen combo. Check out the light fixture above --- and the reflection of it in the dining table. And, check out the TV that covers the whole front wall.

This is the other side of the main living area. The stained glass door leads to the bathroom. The one detail you may not be able to see in this photo is that the mirror on the one wall has the Superman ensignia etched into it from top to bottom.The only artwork / decoration in the bathroom is a nice big painting of the Superman "S" hanging above the toilet.

And this is my favorite, "Hmmm...' feature from the place. The circular, chrome bed. Now for those of you who have circular-shaped beds -- I have nothing against them. It just looked so very interesting in this place.

I think a 20-something, macho guy would think this would be the ultimate bachelor pad.

Just so you know this unit is about 25,000 pesos over my budget and VERY different from units that I've been looking at. This is not a typical apartment from what I've seen!

Overall, I'm still hopeful that I'll find the right place. I'm praying for something that won't be a burden financially and that would be a place where I can rest and recharge -- a place where I can "unburden." :) I go to see some more units with Ann tomorrow and possibly more with my cousin's friend on Thursday. I am so thankful for all the help I've been getting!
I'm also thankful that while I am continue the search I have a wonderfully restful place to stay in the meantime.

1 comments

  1. Kathleen // February 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

    Hi Aileen! I love reading your updates on your courageous and adventurous move to the PI. I am enjoying living vicariously through you! Even though you don't like the price and style ranges of that apt that you saw, are you not inspired to decorate around a "Wonder Woman" or "Dharma" (Fil version of Wonder Woman) theme? jk! Hope you find a place that you like soon. See our blog for updates (latest was a hockey game). Love and blessings - kat, tom, chi, and emi