Sacred Pathways

5/14/2009 09:00:00 PM | 0 comments »

















"But as for me, the nearness to God is my good;..." - Psalm 73:28

While the week was busy and packed with activity, my time in Antique was blessed with moments of strongly feeling God's presence, hearing His voice... being near to Him.

When we arrived at Ate Bea's home I immediately felt my heart sigh. The feeling I had when I first passed through the gate was the same feeling I'd get when I'd visit Leu Gardens in Orlando. I think I've described it before as like the scene in the "Wizard of Oz" when everything goes from black and white to color. It's that feeling when everything comes to life. That feeling when everything seems like all will be right.

My friend Ruth introduced me to the idea of "Sacred Pathways," based on the book by Gary Thomas. He identifies nine different pathways through which people tend to prefer to relate to God. For me, music, nature and spending time journalling or doing some creative work definitely help me in connecting me to the Lord. Realizing that these are ways that I do best connect with God, these are the things that I need to make sure to make allowance for in my life.

I don't think I realized how "thirsty" I was for this connection until I lapped it up during the week.
  • in the sounds of rain, thunder and wind at night when going to sleep
  • in the sound of the ocean
  • in the green that was all around me in the grass and trees
  • in the time in the early morning reading, journaling
  • in the views through the camera lens
  • in the waves flowing over and across my feet
  • in the beauty of the rocks and flowers
  • in the lyrics and melodies of songs of praise and prayer
  • in the words of hope, love and truth in His Word
  • in the even small spaces of quiet and solitude
I'm thankful that on top of the "work-related" blessings of the trip, that the Lord also used the time in Antique to remind me of this. Now to apply this reminder in my daily life. :)

I did an online assessment and found these are the "pathways" that I scored highest in...
  • Naturalists: draw near to God through nature. Most inspired to love God out-of-doors by being in a natural setting
  • Contemplatives: draw near to God through personal adoration and heartfelt devotion
  • Ascetics: draw near to God through solitude and simplicity
  • Sensates: draw near to God through the senses, who loves God with the senses - through awareness of taste, smell, touch, sight, and sound.
What are your Sacred Pathways?

0 comments