What Have I Done?

12/10/2009 02:00:00 PM | 0 comments »

My job isn't the kind of job where I get up from the desk where I've sat for the last 8 hours and see a completed, finished, tangible something. Sometimes at the end of the day I think... what did I actually accomplish??

I think this is why I write lots of "THINGS TO DO" lists with even the tiniest of tasks written down.
Update team calendar. Reply to email. Register for training class.
I do a lot of email writing. Thinking. Reading. Planning. Writing plans. Making timelines.
In my job where I might not see a finished "product" for months, seeing check marks next to even tiny tasks at the end of the day helps me to feel like I've been productive.

Hmmm... so, what HAVE I been doing this week?

  • I've been connecting with partners about an upcoming dedication of the first set of Bible stories in ONE of the Sign Languages used here in Asia.
  • I reviewed videos that were produced as a result of work we did at the Kinaray-a Bible dedication.
  • I worked with our production partner on plans for making some revisions to those videos.
  • I helped fulfill some photo requests.
  • I worked on making plans for my trip to the States.
  • I got my fingerprints done. Hehehe!
  • I did some follow up work on some stuff from my trips to South Asia last month.
Sometimes I get discouraged. Sometimes it feels like I have nothing to "show" for my work. This is the nature of the kind of work I do. So, I have to be okay with that. Simply putting a check mark by "Send email to So-and-So" sometimes is the most important and most productive accomplishment. And, I just need to trust that in the end it contributes to something greater.

The week isn't over yet... so, here's to more check marks! Ha!
(I know... I'm so task, performance-oriented!... God's working on that in me!)

0 comments