CHECK.DONE!

6/27/2010 08:30:00 PM | 0 comments »

Finally. After almost a year and a half I accomplished a goal I had set for myself.
DRIVE IN MANILA.

I set the goal when I first arrived for it to happen sometime within my first few months.
That became my first 6 months.
Which became before Christmas.
Which then became before my parents' visit (March).
Which then became before my birthday.

FINALLY! A goal met.
(Does it count when it was postponed so many times??)


Last week I got this email from one of my friends in the office...


Subject: pst What are you doing after work? How would you feel about getting your first driving experience in Manila? I don't know about you but I'm in desperate need of a run to the grocery store. Would love the company. :) Let me know!
Well, it just so happens the night before I was thinking about how long I could survive with what I had in my cabinets and how much I wanted to order out in the week. So, in my mind I had made plans -- this was going to be the time that I would take the BIG STEP and actually borrow the office car to go grocery shopping.

Well how great was it to get that email the very next day?? I'm not really one who is motivated by "I dare you!" challenges. But, nudges and encouragements from people who want to help you succeed in reaching goals and want to help you to be willing to take steps forward -- that motivates me.

And so, I checked out the car. After work I unlocked the car, welcomed my two brave passengers and drove a whole SEVEN KILOMETERS round trip. Yeah... I know... the odometer hardly turned. It shouldn't even count.

But... IT DOES!
CHECK. DONE!

A goal was set. I had someone who helped motivate me. I had friends cheer me on.
And now I'm not as intimidated by the thought of driving in Manila anymore.

Now parking... that's a whole other story!!! (Really...hahaha!)

0 comments