Continuing to learn...

6/10/2010 11:56:00 PM | 1 comments »

Last night... 1:30 AM
I was up late... again.
Working on taxes ... again.

But this time was different.
I had finally gotten to the point where I was desperately in need of HELP.
So, I was up in the middle of the night preparing all the materials to send to a colleague in Dallas who agreed to work on my taxes.

While I was up at 1:30 AM working on tax preparation stuff, colleagues who are serving in different places around the world were gathering in Orlando, FL for the organization's tri-annual conference.

The folks in Orlando are streaming live some of the segments of the conference.
So, from Manila (at 1:30 AM!!) I got to join in on a bit of this year's conference.

One of Orlando's local pastors, Pastor Isaac Hunter, shared the first day's message.
His message was incredible. There was so much in his message that I wanted to jot down. Among the many things that really struck me, he said...

"Ask for help frequently, and WAY before you need it."
He then gave a personal (hilarious!) example of when he failed to do just that. He reflected on the incident,
"Why did I not ask for help? It's flat out pride."

So I found it ironic. There I was listening to this wise pastor (who by the way... reminds me much of his dad , my pastor at Northland -- Pastor Joel Hunter) while furiously trying to gather up documents to send to someone on the other side of the world to rush to avoid missing the already extended tax deadline.

"Ask for help FREQUENTLY, and WAY BEFORE you need it."
How do I get myself in situations like this???
"It's flat out pride."

How often do I not want to risk looking incompetent, incapable, inexperience, under-qualified, stupid...
and so I waste time and energy trying to do on my own what can be done so much more effectively and efficiently by or with someone else -- if I would just be willing to ask for the help I need.

Or how often I struggle alone, out of fear of someone else knowing that I don't have it all together.
Like that's a shocker!
And so for nothing, I continue to struggle. And I continue to go through it alone.

"Ask for help frequently." "Way before you need it."

Pride -- URGH. I want to not care about my pride. I want to care so much more about my relationship with God that I could care less about what people think about me and be willing to ask for help way before I even think I need it -- to keep my relationship with Him right. I want to care so much more about serving others well and others being served well that I'm quick to ask for help -- regardless of how it makes me look.

In my relationship with God and in my relationships with others ... I don't want to look at reaching out for help as a bad thing or a last resort.

Rid me of my prideful attitude, Lord that keeps me from being willing to admit when I'm in need.

Continuing to learn ... and desiring growth and change from the learning.

There was a lot in his message that struck me. Hope to find a video or recording of it so I can listen to it again -- next time I won't be doing taxes while listening!

(Oh and yes... Mr. Taxman. Less than 24 hours and he's already done. And, he got me more than I would have if I had proceeded to file what I worked on online).

[Side Note: Every 3 years our organization has a conference bringing in delegates from around the world.

I LOVE THIS CONFERENCE!

During my time in Orlando, God used the 2 conferences I was able to sit in on (because of my role in the communications department) to inspire and motivate me to be willing to GO! - wherever He might ask me to go and to serve in whatever ways He might want me to serve.

I loved hearing the reports, I loved listening to the things that people seemed to care deeply about, I loved meeting people who are committed and care about how our organization contributes to change worldwide, I loved hearing what issues seemed to rise to the top and how people responded to it, I loved thinking about the potential ways that God would use the conversations, the worship, the people there, to initiate changes in thinking or direction of our organization. Inspiring. Motivating. Plus it was always an adrenaline-charged, team-building time for our comm crew -- running mics, operating cameras, working the switcher, pulling out long days -- sooo fun!!!

And so, a late night to watch some of the conference ... well worth it to me!]

1 comments

  1. Chris Winkler // June 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

    Glad you're also enjoying the conference! So apparently they have made up a term for people like us...WG. See my wall post to Erica Shuler for details...