Days Like Today...

3/27/2009 09:43:00 PM | 2 comments »

...it’s hard to be away from home.

My sister has her Senior Show at Messiah College. She’s been working hard on this for months – and I can’t be there to see and celebrate with her. That makes me sad. She graduates in May. My sister… growing up. I’m proud of her. She’s talented, hard-working, a thinking person, and loves Jesus. I know her work is going to be awesome and I can’t wait to see pictures from it.

Days like today, I miss my family. I want to be there to see the excitement in my sister’s eyes. I want to see the reactions of people to her exhibit. I want to hug her and congratulate her.

I want to be there to hug my parents, see their faces, feel their flesh, and hug them more.

Today especially. A year ago I sat with my mom and dad in Dr. Alley’s office. He told us that it was likely that my mom had leukemia. And so began our journey with cancer.

The past year went by in a blur. It’s hard to remember, and hard to forget. (If that makes any sense.) Whole seasons passed by and we were somewhat oblivious to it. But, I’d have to say … as odd it may sound, it was a "good" year. I would never wish times like these on anyone, but I am incredibly thankful for how God has used the experience we had in my life, and my family’s.

I see my parents in a new way. I look at them and see amazing strength. I look at them and I see faithful, dedicated, unconditional love. I look at them and I see hearts trying to love in the best ways they know how. I am incredibly proud of and thankful for them.

There was much in this past year that I learned about myself. Or, I at least saw in myself. The things we went through, refined me – I hope.

So today, I’ve been kind of sad and missing home. A few lonely tears and I’m sure I’ll be fine.

Daddy, Mommy, Kuya, Emily, Cindy and Xander… I love you, miss you, and am thankful for each of you.

If you’re FB friends with my mom or if you see my family – give them a hug for me, pat them on the back and encourage them in the year they’ve made it through, or … pray for them to continue to trust God in this journey.

2 comments

  1. The Walters Crew // March 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

    I'm not nearly as far from my family as you are from yours, but I can definitely relate to those "lonely tears" and know how hard it is to be away from home. Praying for you!

  2. Kathleen // April 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM  

    big love and big hugs to you, ais!!!
    love,
    tom, kat, emi, and chi