I love my new place.

3/12/2009 09:00:00 PM | 4 comments »




(CLICK ON THE COLLAGE FOR A LARGER IMAGE:
L-R: The view outside my living area window, the living room area, my bedroom, the dining area, the view at daytime, the view outside of my bedroom, and my bathroom -- the only room I've really worked on.)


I've been in my new place for a week now. And I do, I love it!

Things I love…

  • The view – awesome! Since I was young I wanted to live in a big city in a high rise (I put this image in my ten-year predictions that I wrote with my cousin in 1993. I also had a house in the country in my list )
  • Being in walking distance to my office. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to get to the office from my door
  • Having a Mini Stop downstairs. Mini Stops are like 7-11s. I have ice cream, drinks, FOOD and other little conveniences readily accessible 24 hours a day!
  • Having fun co-workers in my building!
  • The neutral colors and “modern” furniture. Believe me, I saw so many different colors and styles of wallpaper, furniture, floors. I love this quite “plain” look. It’s like a beautiful blank canvas ready for me!
  • That it is within my budget!!! When I was apartment hunting frustration was growing because most of the apartments that were within walking distance were out of my price range. The area where our office is located is pretty much right in the center of a big business district. As you get closer to the center of the district, the more expensive it gets. But, I felt like it was important at least my first year to live close by. It didn’t seem like I was going to find a place that I liked that I could afford. But then this place – the one place I liked – worked out!!!
  • The pool area! – no, I’m not really a swimmer, but the pool area is beautiful! There are little tables set up around the pool and around the larger patio they have gazebos with sitting areas under them. There are also little courtyard type spots with green grass and flowers – places to sit, read, journal, listen to music… places to be still. There are these little spots that make it feel like you’re away from the city and connect with a little bit of nature.
  • The music. Across the street a ways there is a “Gimmick area.” (Gimmick is a term used for fun, hangout activities – restaurants, bars, etc.) Some nights they have some live music that I can hear from my place. It’s not so loud that I can’t tune it out, and the bands have all been good – so… it’s like having live, bedtime music.
  • It feels like "home." - the advice I kept hearing from people while I was apartment-hunting was to not rush. Everyone kept stressing the importance of finding a place where I could feel at home, where I could rest and renew, and where after tiring trips I could feel glad to be home. I do think that this will be that place.
I met another young woman, Ami, who works for an organization called True Love Waits. She and I moved to the Philippines from the States around the same time this year. She and I actually moved into our respective new homes the same night. The next morning we text messaged with each other asking how it was to wake up in our own places.

I replied to her -- “Good! I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. :) My mind keeps running lists of things I want to get and do. Lists of things that are broken and what not. Trying to slow down a bit and just enjoy this moment and just be thankful for this awesome blessing. I am so excited to be here!”

Now that I’ve been in a week, I’m wanting to speed things up a bit. But, while I want to be taking care of things and settling in...I want to do so with a sense of contentment and gratitude. I feel like this place is a huge blessing and an answer to prayer. I don’t want to lose sight of that in the midst of all my list-making and things to do!

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

    Great place, Aileen! I'm so happy for you that you found something that will work for you so well. When can I visit ;)?

  2. SLC // March 15, 2009 at 2:12 AM  

    your home looks awesome! enjoy making memories there . . . you're always in our thoughts!

  3. Daysi // March 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM  

    Aileen- I LOVE your new place! I love he hardwood floors in the living room. It looks really spacious and nice! Excellent! Are you feeling at home yet? I would love to come visit! What are the chances of that?

  4. myrna // March 31, 2009 at 3:03 AM  

    Aileen, I love your place. What a view. Can I stay in your place when I go visit? I miss you. I love you. Tita
    yrna