If I could have the choice of one activity that I could never have to do again for the rest of my life... it would be shoe shopping.

Now, I love shoes. I think there are so many fun shoes and I enjoy shoe shopping with other people -- if they are the ones who need shoes. But, I really dislike shopping for shoes for myself.

My feet are odd. My left food is almost a half-size smaller than my right. Both feet are very wide -- they always have been, but it seems like they've gotten wider. (I think it's because my feet got used to wearing flip-flops and they've just expanded or something.) Almost always I end my shoe-shopping trips frustrated.

I didn't bring a lot of shoes with me from home. There were two reasons for this decision.

  1. I didn't have a lot of shoes to bring. I got rid of a lot of shoes that didn't fit me anymore or that I had stopped wearing.
  2. I remembered Manila as being like a "land of shoes." I remembered that the malls here always had tons of shoes. Soooo many shoes in so many styles! I figured I'd get whatever I needed here.
Well... I remembered correctly. There is no lack of shoes here.

I chose the shopping mall near the guesthouse as the place to begin my quest for a good pair of shoes. I went last weekend and I returned empty-handed. I was at that mall again today (I went to do some reading and journaling at Starbucks -- no Paneras here!) and decided to give it another try.

The shopping mall has a "market" area where people have booths set up with their goods for sale. This mall also has a Shoe Center. I walked the aisles of the market with everyone trying so hard to sell me something they had. I wished over and over again that the shoes I tried on would only fit. Frustration. I decided to give the Shoe Center a try. Shoes everywhere. I walked around doubtful that I'd find anything.

After trying a gazillion different shoes and sizes, I finally found something that fit. I'm not really ALL that crazy about them. There were so many other really really cute styles! They don't have heels (I miss my heels). But they fit and they're comfortable -- which is good since I'll be walking to and from the office everyday. So, I'm thankful to have a good pair of shoes to wear.

As I was thinking about getting them or not, my dad's voice came to mind. He used to love telling me whenever I was getting ready for school, "What? Are you going to a fashion show?" Heheheh... of the wisdom of my parents I guess will always stay with me.

So... what big profound lesson have I learned from this?

Well only this...it isn't any easier shopping for shoes for my feet here in Manila and I still don't like shoe shopping all that much.

Yes, I know. I just blogged about a pair of shoes.

0 comments