Shh.... don't tell.

3/01/2009 01:02:00 AM | 0 comments »

I had an embarrassing moment while I was in Bangkok.
I can very safely say that no one was witness to this. So, this embarrassing moment could have safely stayed with me for eternity. But, I found it funny. And, I'm wanting to grow in the area of not being so concerned about how people see me, so perhaps this is a good exercise towards that. Heheheh.

After a long night I woke up at the YWCA Guesthouse in Bangkok. The facility was quite nice and I had a good, restful sleep. It was early and I would have been happy to have had another hour or so of sleep, but I had already snoozed several times and it was time to get moving. I got myself up, out of bed and into the shower.

Have you ever had a moment when you're in an unfamiliar bathroom, you look at the shower and think... "Hmmm... how does this work?"

Well, there I stood -- half asleep and severely visually impaired without the help of my glasses -- looking up at the shower wondering that very thing.

The only thing I could see was a little dial that said something to the effect of "open - close." It looked like it was connected to the shower head so... I gave it a turn. Some water sputtered out of the dial and I thought ... "Hmmm... I don't know that it's supposed to do that." So, I shut it. There was another dial above that so I decided to give it a twist. Nothing. But, I could see that it said something about water volume -- "low - high" so I twisted it "high."

Since I had gotten some water out of the other dial I decided to give it another try. I turned it just slightly. All of a sudden the knob was forced out of its place and into my hand as a "high volume" of water came shooting straight out spraying everywhere. I tried to get the knob back in but the water was so forceful that I couldn't get it in enough for the threads to start twisting in place. I tried unsuccessfully a few times.

There I was with water spraying all over the place and the knob in my hand. I decided that I still needed to get ready -- so I "showered" with the shooting water that was spraying a good 12 inches above me. Eventually, I was able to get the water volume down, the knob back in and twisted shut.

I was supposed to meet someone for breakfast and the morning's event made me late. I ran down, made my apologies and divulged my secret to justify my being so late. My friend kindly informed me, "All you have to do is push the big silver panel."

Once I got home that night, I stepped into the shower -- with my contacts in -- and I saw it... the big silver panel that says, "PUSH ON - OFF."

Oh, me! Just in case you think this is a first... I've had to ask many people how to turn on the shower in their homes! I've just never had a shower "explode" on me before. :)

Lesson for my future travels: check out the bathing situation the night before -- while wearing contacts or glasses -- and if you can't figure it out, ask someone while you can.

0 comments