Making friends...

4/09/2010 08:22:00 PM | 0 comments »

There are times when my very independent nature becomes incredibly evident to me and I realize how incredibly COUNTER cultural it probably seems here in Asia.

Today was a holiday here in Manila. Having just returned yesterday from traveling, I was quite excited for a day alone to rest, relax and reflect.

So, I found a park that I wanted to explore. I walked around for quite a while and then found a spot to "be still." I realized that I was the only one I saw there that was alone. There were couples (LOTS of them!), families, groups of friends, birthday parties...but no other solo acts.

I was listening to Shane and Shane singing "It is Well" while journaling when I felt the tiniest little tap on my shoulder. In her 1 1/2 year old ways the cutest little girl smiled and talked to me. The little girl, Kaye, walked over from her family's spot to be my friend. Awww.... :)

I wonder if even as a child she was making her own observations. I wonder if she knew I was there alone in a world where that's somewhat odd and decided that SHE would be my friend.

HA! Her parents were just as sweet and friendly to me. They thought I was Korean. Haha. Add that to my "I'm an Asian chameleon" list . :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Quezon City

0 comments