Because You Loved Me

11/15/2009 04:45:00 PM | 0 comments »

I met with a colleague today at a great coffee shop. Very comfy. Cool atmosphere. Free wifi. Great drinks.

We sat and talked for well over two hours. For pretty much the entire time that we were there, they played the song, "Because You Loved Me." I think it was a karaoke CD. It sounded like it was on a cycle of the demo version, the performance track, the performance track with background vocals...and repeat. Regardless... the same song -- over and over and over again.

Probably about an hour into our meeting I joked with my colleague about how they must really love this song. My colleague explained to me that sometimes if the shop doesn't have a lot of variety of music from western culture, they will play what they do have on "repeat." They want to be kind and serve well their visiting customers by playing music that might be familiar to us.

I was touched by that gesture. I mean really, they have to listen to it over and over and over again also! I was also kind of sad (not sure that's the right word) that they felt that they needed to do that... I enjoy listening to music and I would appreciate the chance to hear local music too. But, I guess not all their patrons might feel that way??

*NOTE: not all shops play just one song. I had dinner and dessert one night the other week with friends. One shop had the best mix of Michael Buble-type music and the other had great dance, remix music. :)

0 comments