Yummy Cranberry Sauce

11/21/2009 09:54:00 PM | 0 comments »

I think that in my family growing up there were some twists in some of the menus for traditional American holidays. I think that mostly on holidays we thought of food we wanted to eat and had that. I remember one Christmas we had lobster. Not exactly the traditional holiday fare. :)

But I think that as we each got more and more exposed to what some of the foods other American families would traditionally have on their tables, we started to enjoy adding them to our holiday meals. Things like... sweet potatoes with marshmallows, green bean casserole, dressing, and... cranberry sauce.

Growing up I don't ever remember having cranberry sauce on our Thanksgiving table. Some time after I graduated from college I went home to spend Thanksgiving with my family. I was surprised when I heard that we HAD to have cranberry sauce --- with the ridges. Wow! Since when?? Apparently at some point we (I think initiated by my sister) added cranberry sauce to our Thanksgiving Day menu.

I went to the grocery store today. There on the shelf was a can of Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce -- ridges and all. I picked it up and tossed it into my cart. I have no idea what I'll eat with it. I won't be cooking a Thanksgiving meal for myself :) But I'll enjoy some ridged cranberry sauce, think of my family, and give thanks for them and all the other many, many blessings God has showered on me.

If you're wondering... there will be no paper turkeys, no pilgrim hats, no deep-fried turkeys, no Macy's parade, no black-Friday shopping craziness, and NO DAYS OFF here in the Philippines. (Hehehe... Pilgrims didn't land over here :))
BUT... there will be the giving of thanks!
And, I will get to enjoy a Thanksgiving Day meal -- I'll join some others at the guest house where we'll share in a holiday meal together (one that I don't have to cook!)

Hope you all have a wonderful HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

0 comments