A Thanksgiving Feast

11/26/2009 10:16:00 PM | 0 comments »














I just got back from a great Thanksgiving dinner at Dawn and Nate's house.
Even though they just got back from a trip out of the country, they invited the whole bunch of us over for Thanksgiving dinner. What great people, huh?? :)

The dinner was DELICIOUS... turkey, dressing, broccoli salad, jello salad, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and cherry pie. EVERYTHING was absolutely DELICIOUS!!

But honestly, the greatness of the evening wasn't so much in the food (while it was GREAT!!!) as much as it was in everything that the night communicated to me...

The blessings of...

  • family
  • friends
  • home
  • home away from home
  • generosity
  • hospitality
  • provision
  • friendship
  • self-sacrifice
  • joy in serving others
  • laughter
  • the gift of time
Nate read to us a portion of George Washington's Thanksgiving Day proclamation.
It talks about having "a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God..."

That is Thanksgiving -- recognizing and acknowledging our Almighty and Gracious God.
We went around the room and people shared one thing that they were thankful for this past year. I have a lot that I'm thankful for -- especially looking back on this past year. For some reason I didn't share anything. Don't know why... but I'll share now...

I think the biggest thing I am thankful for in this past year is ... I'm never alone.
I find it kind of odd that I'd choose to say that because that truth has been probably the truth I've struggled with most in this past year. That is the thing that God has continued to challenge me with and encourage me in.

Now, believe me... there are a lot of times when I feel alone. There are a lot of times when I even WANT to FEEL alone and throw myself a little pity party.

But, God has in this past year has really been working in me the truth that I'm never alone -- He is always with me and in truth, there is great confidence and joy in that.

He is with me in the hope, promises and truths in His Word.
He is with me in comfort and presence.

And, in His grace... He expresses His love and presence through His people that He surrounds me with. They extend His love graciously in their friendship and their walking with me in life.

God is good.
His love is perfect, unfailing and forever faithful.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

0 comments