Today we had the 2nd installment on SUFFERING.

It seems that when we talk about God's promises we talk about how God provides, how He keeps us safe, how He makes us happy. But when do we talk about SUFFERING as a part of God's plan and His promise?

I've read and heard stories of horrific torture that believers have gone through for their faith. And how they live through it with earnest, passionate conviction and love for their Savior. I have heard the stories of missionaries who have suffered heartache after heartache with the loss of children, spouses, destruction... and yet... there is in their hearts such LOVE, FAITH and TRUST.

In reading books and articles and hearing stories of the persecuted church I hear a similar sentiment among these "blessed ones." Often, we from the West will offer our sympathy and tears to our brothers and sisters in the persecuted church. Their response often reflects this heart... "Don't feel sorry for us. God has shown us His glory."

These sessions on suffering have raised these questions for me...

  • Do I value God's glory more than my own comfort? rights? life? work?
  • Do I value God's glory more than the comfort? rights? life? of my family and friends?
  • Do I REALLY believe that suffering is a way that may be a part of God's plan and purpose to reveal His glory?
  • Do I focus on my circumstances or on my Lord and WHO HE IS?
  • Do I believe that God gives His grace when suffering comes?
  • Do I believe that His grace is sufficient?
  • Is my faith even that "strong" or "big" or "risky" to even warrant the need for suffering or persecution???
  • How do I know when I'm "ready" to accept this reality of the life ahead of me?

I look around at my fellow trainees, I think about the people who I've met, I think about my brothers and sisters in Christ around the world and I wonder... what sufferings will come? to whom? how will we respond? How will God's glory be revealed among us?

There has been this dull, weak, weary feeling in my heart as I've been thinking about suffering since last week's session. Is that the right response?

In hearing the testimony of the saints who have suffered -- the ways they have better seen and come to know and love the Lord... the ways their faith has expanded... the ways others have come to know God through their suffering -- perhaps one day that feeling will be replaced with "joy"? At least today... I feel a greater sense of HOPE.

1 comments

  1. Ruth Hubbard // August 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM  

    Just had the urge to sing you this hymn:

    Come Thou Fount of every blessing
    Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
    Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
    Call for songs of loudest praise
    Teach me some melodious sonnet,
    Sung by flaming tongues above.
    Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
    Mount of God's unchanging love.

    Here I raise my Ebenezer;
    Hither by Thy help I'm come;
    And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
    Safely to arrive at home.
    Jesus sought me when a stranger,
    Wandering from the fold of God;
    He, to rescue me from danger,
    Interposed His precious blood.

    O to grace how great a debtor
    Daily I'm constrained to be!
    Let that grace now like a fetter,
    Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
    Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
    Prone to leave the God I love;
    Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
    Seal it for Thy courts above.