I just got home from dinner with some incredibly generous-hearted people. Their ministry is "The Pauline House Inn" where they host those in ministry for short stays and for dinners -- providing a place for rest, relaxation and refreshment. We had a yummy dinner, nice conversation and a hymn sing. :)
The host husband used to travel in a singing group and treated us to a solo or two -- like those sweet oldies that you see in those movies. It reminded me of songs like ... "by the light of the silvery moon..." (is that even the right words?? I should have made that a request!) Anyway... it was a nice time. I'll have to blog another time about the couple and how they met. It was sweet.

Today in class we discussed CULTURE and WORLDVIEW. It was so eye-opening for me. Some things that seem so "DUH!" are the things that I think I will have the hardest time remembering and applying in my life in Manila.

There was A LOT that I got from the class today. Just one main take-away...

When learning and adjusting to another culture you have to be intentional and attentive. You have to communicate to people that you WANT to know about their culture. Be willing to have an exchange of thoughts and ideas. Show appreciation for the things they are teaching you. BE RECEPTIVE.

Ok, I know... you're saying -- "DUH, Aileen!" This was an important thing for me to hear.

I am FILIPINO. This is my heritage. It is my blood. BUT I have to recognize the fact that I was born and raised in AMERICA, by Filipino parents. I went through the American school system, lived and played and worked in America. I don't know everything about FILIPINO culture. In the same way I don't know everything about AMERICAN culture. Nobody does. BUT sometimes, I get so defensive among Filipinos ... feeling a need to prove my "Filipino-ness" that I don't necessarily communicate a desire to learn from them. I can have an attitude like, "Yes, of course I know that. I AM Filipino, you know!"

I won't do well in Manila (or in any other culture) if I have that attitude.

Lord, break down my pride. Help me to have a willingness to learn and desire to grow. Help me to have a true spirit of humility.

Following the main class there was a required class for married couples. It's open to singles -- so I went. I figure I'll be working with married couples -- it would be good to know the things that might be stress points, etc. It was fine (for those of you who are worried, it didn't make me sad and depressed that I'm single!). I'm really glad that I went. So many things in marriage relationships apply to relationships in general so it was very good. I'm thankful that in training before people go to their ministry assignments, there is a time for people to really consider the marriage relationship. There has to be a very real recognition of the vulnerabilities and the impact on marriage in missions.

Oh... funny moment. There was a time in class when the presenter said that the homework was to go home tonight and talk to your spouse about desires that became expectations in your marriage. And for those who don't have their spouses here and the singles -- to go home and talk to yourself :) hahahah!!!

1 comments

  1. Ruth Hubbard // August 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM  

    Thank you for this post, Aileen. It helps me see things in a new way again and I certainly need that.